This is a simple and nutritious breakfast or brunch that can feed a crowd or be packed for lunch. It will keep for several days in the refrigerator, and you can microwave it for 1-2 minutes for a quick breakfast or lunch. You may use any kale of your choice (including baby kale mix), spinach, swiss chard, or other greens! You may also use any cheese of your choice, but the mozzarella browns up nicely in the oven, making a visually pleasing dish.
Kale: high in fiber, low in calories, and zero fat; high in iron and vitamin K; packed with antioxidants (carotenoids, flavonoids); anti-inflammatory with omega-3 fatty acids; high in Vitamins A & C and calcium.
currently listening to:
5-6 bunches of kale (or 5oz. mixed baby kale)
2 teaspoons olive oil (For the skillet)
1 1/2 cup mozzarella or other cheese of your choice
1/3 cup green onion
1 teaspoon seasoning blend (I used slap ya mama cajun seasoning)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
prep time: 10 min
cook time: 30-35 min
adapted from kalyn's kitchen
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. You can also use a metal baking dish, but just be sure to grease very well!
1. Remove the stems and chop the kale. Thinly slice the green onion.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high. For regular kale, add the kale and stir for 2-3 minutes until the kale is just wilted. For baby kale, just stir for 1 minute. Transfer the kale to the baking dish, and spread it out evenly in one layer.
3. Sprinkle the grated cheese and the green onions on top of the kale.
4. In a small dish, beat the eggs with a fork or a whisk, and stir in the seasoning blend of your choice. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper. If your seasoning already has salt in it, only add a little bit of salt. Pour the eggs over the cheese and the green onions, and very gently stir the mixture with a fork so that the eggs are evenly spread.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the eggs are completely set and the mixture is slightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
Enjoy! This is great as is, or also great with sour cream, Sriracha, other hot sauce, or ketchup!