This is such a delicious breakfast that's a cinch to prepare, and it's filling enough that you can enjoy it for a quick weekday dinner as well! The drizzling of heavy cream really elevates these baked eggs and makes them smooth and silky!
currently listening to:
IU- Pastel Crayon
1 Tablespoon butter
8 oz mushrooms (any kind will do!)
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or seasoning of your choice (I used a Cajun seasoning blend)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
1/3 cup shredded Gruyere, parmesan, or other cheese of your choice
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
prep time: 5 min
cook time: 15-20 min
adapted from fiveandspice at food52
Preheat the oven to 400F.
1. Slice the mushrooms and mince the garlic.
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to turn tender. Stir in the garlic and thyme (or other herb or seasoning) and cook for about 2 more minutes until the mushrooms are tender and slightly browned. Be careful to not burn the garlic!
4. Grease an 8x8" or a small baking dish (first line with aluminum foil and then grease for easier clean-up!). Pour the mushroom mixture into the baking dish.
5. Crack the eggs over the mushrooms- spread them out evenly! Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the eggs, and then drizzle the heavy cream on top.
6. Bake in the oven for about 9-11 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.