This may not be the healthiest salad out there, but it's still quite nutritious, with spinach and eggs. It is okay to consume bacon once in a while, but it is preferred that you purchase bacon that is free of antibiotics and pesticides. It's better for you, and it tastes better, too! [Read more here]
This is such a quick dinner that can be prepared in minutes! You could substitute the bacon with turkey bacon if you wish, although you would need to add some olive oil in step 5.
currently listening to:
EXO- First Snow
spinach: high in protein (surprising fact! one cup of spinach = 12% daily value of recommended protein); high levels of vitamin A and K; great source of folate/folic acid; good source of magnesium, iron, potassium, vitamin C, and manganese
2 large eggs
2 bacon slices, cut into thin strips crosswise
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 bag of baby spinach (1 lb)
salt and freshly ground pepper
prep time: 10 min
cook time: 20 min
adapted from Tyler's Ultimate by Tyler Florence
1. Fill a small saucepan about 3/4 with water, and bring to a healthy boil. Add a pinch of salt, and using a spoon, slowly dip the eggs in and out of the water, one at a time- this will prevent the egg from cracking from the temperature change. Gently lower the eggs into the water. Cook the eggs for about 7 minutes until they are semi-firm.
2. Scoop the eggs out let them cool. Once cooled, peel the eggs.
3. Slice the bacon, garlic, and onion.
4. In a skillet, cook the bacon for about 4-6 minutes on medium-high heat until they just begin to crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
5. In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. Add the honey and vinegar, and continue cooking until the onions have caramelized (about 5 more minutes).
6. Toss the spinach into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and toss the mixture for about 30 seconds, until the spinach is just wilted.
7. Place the spinach on a serving plate, and top with bacon and eggs. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.