Fall is synonymous with pumpkins, sweet potatoes, apples, and nuts! I love sweet potatoes, because they are extremely versatile and mesh well with so many different flavors and textures. This is a delicious fall appetizer that is a cinch to make, and so visually pleasing as well-- enjoy!
sweet potato- high in fiber (7g/ serving); large amount of vitamin B6 (reduces homocysteine levels- which contributes to hardening of arteries and blood vessels); rich in beta-carotene/ vitamin A (antioxidant; protects skin from sun damage; essential for healthy eyes); good source of manganese (essential component in metabolism of carbohydrates); rich in vitamins C and E (antioxidants; promotes healthy skin and hair)
Goat cheese: low in fat and calories; rich in calcium; high in protein; suitable for those who are lactose intolerant (!); contains probiotics to aid in digestion; higher in Vitamins D and K compared to cow's cheese
currently listening to:
akdong musician- I love you
2 sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil (2 for the baking dish, 2 for the salad)
1/4 cup pecan halves (toasted ahead of time; see note below)
1 small shallot
2 stalks celery
2 tablespoons parsley
2 ounces goat cheese
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Note: To toast the pecans (or any other nuts), place on baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes at 350F.
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Coat a large baking sheet with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cut the sweet potatoes in 1-inch coins (see picture). Lay the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
3. Carefully flip each piece, sprinkle the other side with salt and pepper, and return to oven for 10 more minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop the pecans, mice the shallot, and chop the celery and parsley. In a small dish, mix the ingredients together. Crumble the goat cheese over top and mix.
5. In a small dish, whisk the 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the red wine vinegar and dijon together. Pour half of the mixture into the salad.
6. When the sweet potatoes are done, scoop a spoonful of the salad over each coin. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top, to taste.